Thursday, July 21, 2011

what is in a name - prometheus

My earliest memory of life are the mountain ranges of Albay and the innocence of provincial life in the bicol province. I have the fondest childhood memories of the rice fields, kites, siyato and harong harong of the bicolandia. Standing tall and proud at the backdrop of our little barrio was the majestic mayon Volcano. Naive as I was, I have always aspired for the moon. My first ambition being " when I grow up, I want to become an astronaut". Of broken english, unmemorized poems and persistent participation in school, I was determined to excel in whatever endeavor I have found. Indeed, "continuous effort is the key to unlocking our potential". I believe a genius can be found among persistent minds. 

Many years after, my "astronaut" accompanied me in my thoughts. It has become a personal symbol of pursuit. I have pursued every opportunity for knowledge and Xavier - Ateneo de Cagayan offered me various schools of thoughts pertaining the sciences and the arts. My years with the Jesuits have sharpened my spirituality and my philosophy. I was blessed to have generous Jesuit mentors who have shared with me their passion for life. Fr. Brenan, Fr. Roney, Fr. Dinky, Fr. Joey, Fr. Varela and many more who will remain to be unsung heroes in their humble assignments in some far flung retreat house or some confession boxes. Sharing the same tradition were other mentors who had a big impact in my life - Kuya Jong, Raymund, Ate Sweety, Mam Prisci, Mam Amy Chaves who introduced me to my other love Philosophy, Sir Charles our music maestro, Sir Bong Montesa, Mr. Abella multiplication recitation marathon, Mr. Elobido's and Sir Salido's practical arts,  the legendary Charcoal who introduced me to my love for History. 

From the passion of this community of teachers and mentors, I pursued on my own the cradle of reason  and human determination. This I have found in literature and history, where the Greeks gave us the foundation of human civilization. Reading the great classics Odyssey and Iliad, I started my journey to Greek History and Mythology where I found the character of Prometheus, the Titan god of forethought and crafty counsel who was entrusted with the task of molding mankind our of clay. He was a champion of mankind in a mythological time and place where man and gods co-existed. Known for his wily intelligence. He gave man FIRE in a time of darkness and ignorance where man was defenseless against the tricks of fate and the will of fickle gods.

Fire being a symbol of knowledge. It is my metaphor for power and Prometheus is my metaphor for my desire of providing my countryman the power of marketing and business concepts amidst evolving market forces and ensuring the Filipino Entrepreneur's competitiveness.  When Filipino products and industries are being destroyed by foreign brands and products, there is darkness in our land.

As I have received generously, so shall I give. I will return to this world a hundredfold what I have received. With sincerity, I pursue with passion my identity in whatever enterprise I commit myself to undertake - a marketing professional, a filipino, a father, a christian, a human being- "no less than the moon and the stars".

Rene Bitara, Prometheus Consultants

No comments:

Post a Comment