Monday, August 1, 2011

Experientia docet

I had a quick chat with an old student and an old AA comrade the other day. It was an incident that instigated a deep thought. I saw myself in them – now that I am a professional and the other me, way back fifteen years ago, a student, finding my way around the labyrinth of College life. I had to pause to think about an incident shared to me. The student tells of an incident of coming across some lines in the Internet, under an account “Xavier Watch”, pertaining my name and the selling exercise I facilitated. I am deeply saddened by the incident. Indeed, teaching is a vocation. With deep reflection, one may find solace in the thought that it’s not a perfect world and there is always an allowance for “bad debts”. I have come to a progressive conclusion that a good can be derived from this incident to better learning processes in the Marketing Department without necessarily compromising the benefits of   “well planned and coordinated” selling exercise. Perhaps, this challenge can be evaluated as to how two schools of thought collided and how can we use this situation to better our department. The accusations are baseless; and I treat it as a symptom of old practices being tested by new ways of doing. These is a manifestation of Kai Zen - if you do not adjust with change, you will become obsolete. Nevertheless, I will accept the challenge with all my heart.

Bruised by the arrows shot at me from a cowardly distance, I will not be deterred in challenging the youth by exposing the present circumstance of a country in dire need of competent managers; of a region in dire need of competent entrepreneurs.  Marketing will play a big role in pushing the interest of this region towards nation building; of fulfilling a promise which has eluded the region for decades. Shall we embrace the social and economic challenges we see in our immersion exercises? Shall we demonstrate the required passion in confronting economic and social structures that hinder our country’s growth? I support the department’s Entrepreneurship program. I see it as a solution. However, a structure will remain a structure without the required emotion that will make animate an inanimate object. There is a great need to establish the moral aspect of every operation that will give life to concepts and create a self sustaining fire- a benevolent moral cause.  A country lost in translation and deteriorating social, political and economic structures is a moral cause that can steer any Filipino to deepen their competence; more so to privileged youth given the opportunity of an Ateneo education with access to the best library system in the region, liberal education, extra curricular formation  and structural opportunities to make a difference.

Conflict and intrigue are not alien to our great halls which bore witness to martial law years, Edsa years and many more political movements in our country. Twenty five years ago Alyansa Atenista and UGAT were in great odds against each other. Fifteen years ago Alyansang atenista and ASAP had bitter political disagreements. However, these past conflicts where not fought in cold war fashion under the guise of nameless cowardly creatures. Opponents faced each other in the proper venue in the same way that TFI were discussed in the proper negotiation tables.  These battles were courageously fought in classroom campaigns and organized debates. People were humble in victory and gracious in accepting defeat. There was honor and respect never extending to libelous remarks and baseless accusations; More so never under false names and masks to cover their lack of conviction for a questionable cause. If they have found sufficient ground and due cause, I have challenged repeatedly all concerned to bring to the proper venue their objection. I have faced students, parents, teachers and administrators in defense of my processes. My sincere intentions and academic results have proven them otherwise. Experiential learning had a positive impact on my students. Though challenging because of the nature of processing a great number of students, only a passionate and sincere soul can master its attached odds and difficulties – selling exercise, advertising and sales promotion creation and execution.

Marketing involves a number of skills which can be learned best through experience – attitude, customer psychology, consumer behavior, communication, leadership, people skills, presentation, managing failure, planning, and controlling operations towards desired results. I stood by my processes and the end desired. As a Marketing Professional, my field experience afforded me the competence of managing marketing operations. I will share to my students the reality of Marketing and the regimen it requires.  I owe my university only the best and nothing less. I will not spend my time teaching for lesser motives; only by my conviction for excellence. If by act of fate a canon ball injured me and awarded me an untimely retreat in life, it might have crippled me financially but it never deterred my spirit – I will remain unafraid over life’s adversities. The more I am challenged, the more I am roused.

With my pursuit of teaching, I pay tribute to my great teachers. Indeed, as Alexander would put it is simple words “ I thank my father for giving me life, but I thank my teacher for teaching me how to live”. I hold them in my heart with great esteem. Unsung heroes of Philippine society who have given so much; much, much more than what they have received. I have always regarded my teachers with deep respect – teachers of all types. Those I found lacking I supplemented with research and those I differ in opinion, I have never raised contempt. Its enough for me as a student that my teacher had the heart to share a small concept to me. To discern the good in people is a virtue I have learned in this university. It’s a powerful management concept I have used in my profession. I respected them for having the heart and the sacrifice of nurturing me and my friends. For taking time in taking interest in fragile minds with youthful idealism.

I must say I have found myself in these halls under the guidance of mentors, exercises, teachers, Jesuits and books. I drowned myself in the diversity of knowledge and concepts. I have grown as a person. I guess it’s my attitude towards growth that has guided me. I had a great desire to grow as a person because I know there is so much in the world to learn and there is a universe so wide. In every corner there is opportunity to learn. In every person there is a truth to be discovered. Life is an adventure and I choose the color by which I see life. I savored every drop of wisdom made available to me. If there is one thing I have learned, it is the concept that we must see life holistically thus to approach education not in the limited sphere of technical competence but in the sphere of human competence – to learn how to live and to learn how to make a living are two different things. Life is more colorful in the context of poetry. Its more exciting in the context of philosophy. It’s more meaningful in the context of spirituality. Oh how I labored to share this view with every person I meet and every student I am given a chance to mentor.

As I have always reminded my students my position in life, “do not be defined by other people, do not rest your fate in the hands of others, in your hands rests whatever greatness there is in you” “ do not rest your fate in external forces you cannot control – it will never be a perfect world” “ focus on controllable and do not cry over spilled milk”. Instead of whining, find a solution. If one will simply discern growth, there is so much in us we can be so humble about that it will be so hard to point at the imperfections of other people. If there is one thing I have learned in life it is to realize that its not a perfect world. And If I desire change in this world it must begin with me. To expect that the world will provide for me is a flawed judgment but rather to do what I can in my little way is the way to find my place in this world. If you know your purpose in life no amount of storm or wind shall trouble you. If you have found your place in the world, no flood or forces – internal or external shall deter a man with a mission. In this way I mix my philosophy with Marketing. The best thing about liberal education is that you see the world in holistic view in the same way great minds saw the world – great Generals, kings and philosophers, poets, political and business leaders.  Life is richer because one sees the world in different perspective and one gets  to appreciate that there is so much in the world to see and how little we are and how precious life is.

If I may share my thoughts on my decisiveness. It is my firm belief that life is as precious as time. A minute gone, or an hour or a day or a week or a month or a semester – once gone it will never come back. To squeeze out the marrows of each day that is given to us is the right order of the day. Youth will grace us only once – as I have quenched every opportunity in my youth so shall I invite the young once to take courage in maximizing their youthful energy in living and preparing for their dreams. Do not be afraid to take a shot on life. Stretch your horizons. Do not be afraid of stretching exercises for through it you discover yourself – your inner strengths and weaknesses you can address. When I am decisive on my exercises and methods, it is a balance between my passion for excellence, creativity, achievement orientation and my limitations as a teacher. Excellence and achievement orientation in providing my students with competence on the subject assigned to me. As a field marketing manager, my area of expertise is concepts to execution and results, I am decisive in creating and executing a learning method that will have the maximum impact on future marketing professionals. To my lament, it is not a popular position. Nevertheless, popularity is the least of my concern in the university. I am guided by gratitude for the institutions who has given me so much and a great desire to fulfill a purpose - fate and choice awarded me. To aspire for excellence and results in whatever circumstance life presents me. To master every situation under God’s good graces.
Let my sentiments be a warning to our students who might be tempted by techno convenient means of communicating one’s cause in demonstrating supposed ingenuity and intellect. Do not be deceived by the temporary values you perceive in the web. Do not be arrogant with the new knowledge your generation is blessed with. The world is far, far bigger and more complex to be mastered by one supposed advantage.  There is wisdom in old virtues as courage and reason.  Since time immemorial, courage is sought while cowardice is reviled. There is wisdom as well in  “due process of law” and “demonstrating freedom without trespassing at the rights of other people”.  I challenge the genius of the Filipino youth to stand up with courage and reason for their principles. Stand up and be recognized rather than hide under the cloak of nameless personas. Test your genius by refuting whatever odds you are up against; stand in harms way with courage in defense of your just cause. Only then you can say that your principle is worth fighting for. 

I remain steadfast and firm in my position: “ang taong gusto maraming paraan, ang taong ayaw maraming dahilan”, ”limitation are mere creations of the mind”, ”perhaps you are weak handed but stick to it steadily for small dropping wears away stones and little strokes fell down great oaks”- Attitude, Passion, and Competence. And these are no mere inanimate words as I am a witness to its power. It is my moral obligation that guides me. This I teach my student in theory and application. I believe these are the virtues this country needs. Beyond technological competence, remains the “moral and intellectual” aspect of every operation which according to Sun Tzu is decisive in war. If the community finds my precepts lacking in ground and spirit, a word from my dean is all I need. I am here to provide value. I am here to be part of the solution.  But, forgive me if I say that I will remain in my position as to how “marketing instruction” relates to the bigger picture – a country in dire need of heroes; a region in dire need of entrepreneurs competent in the field of management and marketing; I remain in my position as to how it must be approached. It’s a very challenging profession. And our region is dire need of its concepts. Let us not surrender our standards. Let us not rest on our laurels. Let us improve our processes forward and forward. Let us adapt the principles of Kai Zen. 

School is the last stronghold. Where families and communities have failed, School offers the youth with an opportunity to see the world in different perspective. Thus, it is of grave importance that core traditions must be kept; and to be defended against the whims of youthful recklessness magnified in multiples by technology. However, timeless wisdom will always prevail. Veritas liberabit vos. However grand a deception is, it will remain a deceit and truth shall prevail.  As a religious institution, we are lucky to be governed by timeless principles of the Word of God - timeless as ancients. Having worked with multinational extending 17 provinces, 9 distributors, 2 multinational companies - the laws of leadership remains true today as it was 3000 years ago. The principles of competition remains true to day as it was in ancient times. No amount of modern technology can change the nature of man. Moral and intellectual aspect of man will remain decisive in any human enterprise today and tomorrow. To quote a sage in ancient china “ The virtues of the sovereign are far better defense than high mountains and inaccessible cliffs”. Yesterday, today and tomorrow, virtues will remain a potent component in making reality great designs and will remain a major ingredient in molding great genius of our times. I hope the same virtues we defend and promote will find its way to the hearts and minds of our young students, our supposed “pag asa ng inang bayan”.

“The divine insanity of noble minds
That never falters nor abates
That labors and endures and waits
Til all it foresees it finds
And what it can not find, creates. “ Longfellow

Be able to create learning opportunities towards your chosen profession. Marketing requires skills and street smart competence. During your four years in college, venture into selling. During summer, work for a promo agency. While studying, try buy and sell. Pursue excellence in you FS, a Xavier program which offers a huge opportunity for the discerning student. Work for a Marketing company and assist in executing marketing programs. Help in the family business. Seek leadership skills in your family or books. Faith, Courage, Resilience and Persistence can only be learned thru practice. Join an organization and seek leadership practice. Try new things. Do not be afraid.

Rene Bitara, Prometheus Consultants

No comments:

Post a Comment