Tuesday, August 16, 2011

malapascua, perk of corporate sales

 

Malaspacua of Cebu will remain in my heart.  On the eve of the Selecta Walls Visayas Team Team building and planning session of 2002, a grave thought visited me while seating in the terrace of the hut we rented amidst a silent night in a shore of white sand and stars. It was a beautiful night at Malapascua. We had a good cheer and conversation. Our RSM, Paolo Tan, has always been a very good host and an adventurous one.  His the youngest RSM I have worked with – full of youth and dynamism; his famous quote pertaining apples “ one apple a day is seven apples a week”. 

That night, I was resolved to settle down. Weary of the vices and recklessness of youth, a realization dawned on me – Quo Vadis? I asked my self “where art thou going?”. A hundred miles away from Manila where a lady waits his knight, the distance and the moments in the island where time seem slow and yet, the tranquility was a welcome respite for people like me, soldiers of corporate sales. The island gave me space to think about my life, my career and my purpose. A retreat to a serene resort is always an opportunity for sales people to evaluate one’s life. That night after an eternity of discernment and counsel with stars, I decided to propose marriage to Rella and start a family. 

We started that day in Cebu City. Packing our bags at the hotel after the Sinulog night out at a Party  in Mactan and Pizza dinner somewhere in Cebu City, we took the black SUV of Paolo and drove along the highways and provincial road towards the tip of Cebu. I cant remember the name of the port but as we travelling, we were asking for  directions, everybody along the road seem to know the location. We arrived around 4pm ( not exactly sure! ) but pretty sure we arrived at the island before sunset. 

Having been to Boracay many times, I must say Malapascua is very much like Boracay except for the many commercial bars, restaurants and hotels. Malapascua is like Boracay 20 years ago as explained by the Italian and American residents in the area who are making good in the tourism business while enjoying the life in the island. We had a sumptuous dinner in a nearby restaurant.  The place was a hut and table extending to the beach while the food was western and tastes very good. 

Travels and beautiful resorts are perks to be savored in corporate sales. The transport vehicle package of Multinational Companies, afford Sales Managers the opportunity to see many exciting places in their area of assignment and even, nearby provinces. Its a luxurious benefit to be treated with discrimination for in lieu of this is a work culture designed to stretch operation, performance and people. A culture designed for growth and achievement. But I guess it will take a certain kind of personality to manage the challenges and the perks of corporate sales.  Both has its according pitfalls. In my experience, one must be cautious not be disoriented. One needs to be grounded all the time - stay focused on the ball and the rules of the game.

I plan to return to Malapascua as soon as I find my foothold again. Feel the sand, smell the fresh air of the virgin island, conversation with Italians while dining at their Pizza Hut Restaurant. Sometime 2012, I am bent on resolving my backlogs and visit the island with Rella and the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment